12/5/07

Sigh.

I am about to become the kind of person who does this to their animal. And I am sorry. If you see us walking down the street, please don't point your finger, or snicker, or say to the person walking next to you, "Oh my god, can you believe that?! Some people are so ridiculous."

Because that's what I say. And if I do this, I won't be able to say it anymore. And I will want you to refrain out of sympathy.

It's not that I care about what other people think. I care about what I think. And these violate my sense of what is right and wrong. Buying them -- and then admitting that I bought them, through the act of using them -- will mean I'm no longer privy to the jokes I once made about People Like That.

Admittedly, this is a far cry from a diamond-encrusted water bowl, or a facial at the doggie day spa. But it's a little more than I feel comfortable with, in the let's-personify-our-pets department. It means I'm contributing even more towards the $40 billion a year that Americans spend on their pets (seriously, people, we could feed a small nation with that).

This almost crossed the line for me --


-- but not quite. It's not like my dog wears his Christmas outfit (which is more of a plaid collar ringed with jingle bells) in public, or anything. Or for more than one day out of the year.

These are different. These are about as public as it gets.

But dude, the dog's feet are frozen. We can't walk the two blocks to the video store without him crying in the middle of the sidewalk. So I figure this is better than that.

Addendum. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. If you, dear friend, put boots on your dog in the winter, whether you live in Alaska or Alabama, I still love you. And no, I've never pointed at you and laughed. Honest. Oh, that time? No, I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing at, um, that mime, you know, the mime who lives across the street and happened to be practicing his Britney Spears impersonation in his front yard. Seriously!

4 comments:

Sparky said...

Okay, Cailo, I've gotta know: how did you find me? And where in WI are you? Madtown?

The dog boots are humane. They're nice for dog feet. The look silly, but lots of perfectly normal people use them. I saw them all the time, especially come February . . . WAIT until the negative 17 hits . . .

Anonymous said...

february is right! check out this little lovely:

http://flickr.com/photos/katycoelho/385015363/

milo is in good company.

Carrie said...

Whew! Thanks, Katy. As long as Roscoe wears them, too. I've been watching the dogs being walked in the neighborhood, but so far they've all been boot-less.

Carrie said...

Sparky -- yes, Madtown indeed. (I left a comment on your blog that answered your first question.)

You're right. They are humane. See, we lived in Maine when we got the dog, and he didn't seem to need boots there. And it never got cold enough in the South. So now, in Wisconsin, I'm just a little surprised by his sudden aptitude for foot wear.