5/30/07

overheard on the sidewalk today

so, i'm getting out of my car after parking in front of the house this afternoon, and a young woman is walking by with a couple of very little kids -- two girls about three or four years old. all of a sudden, a big gust of wind swoops through the trees next to the sidewalk, causing a shower of thin baby leaves to blow from their branches and fall, each in sort of a slow-motion spiral, to the street.

one of the little girls points to the falling leaves and says to the woman accompanying her: "look! it's raining helicopters!"

and indeed. small baby leaf helicopters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, there. Thanks for linking up with Down and Out. I've enjoyed your musings, especially loving this "things overheard!" I am guessing that our mutual friend is Towles...
Keep up the writing...and "RAGE, RAGE against the dying of the light," as Dylan Thomas would say (do you know his poem "Do not go gentle into that good night"?? It's one of my favorites; see my comments on it at: http://downandout.wordpress.com/2007/02/23/literature-do-not-go-gentle/)

Cheers,
Traci

Carrie said...

thanks, traci. i do know the poem. my grandmother introduced me to it. you and she have good taste!

xo
c