6/3/07

walls

i was doing some work on the front porch this evening (heaving rocking chairs and giant pots and several folding chairs and a couple of watering cans around, in various arrangements, in the last phase of that unruly beast otherwise known as unpacking). our front windows were open, and i realized how clearly i could hear not just the songs playing from the stereo inside, but also hear j, singing along. and then i realized that the neighbors and anyone who happened to walk by could hear this, too. which isn't a problem, as i think we have fairly decent taste in music, so it's not like anyone would complain or anything.

but it got me thinking about walls. and how when we're inside our walls, we feel private and alone. and how we can feel this privacy and aloneness in such close proximity to each other. and how, if you could peel back the walls of all the houses up and down my block, we sure would look funny, holed away in our living rooms and bedrooms and kitchens, pretending to be alone or with our families, when all this life is going on around us.

and now it's raining. a hard rain. the kind that washes the dirt out of the yard and onto the sidewalk the next morning kind of rain. and i'm thinking how the only thing that is keeping me dry is this flimsy wall and ceiling.

i look out my front window and wonder what is going on on the other sides of all the other walls.

2 comments:

Mid-western 007 said...

I have nothing pithy to say, only that you're exactly right, and that I've often felt the exact same way--especially in comparison to life in an African village, where you can put up all the walls you want, but the people are still going to come in.

And the love-hate relationship I developed with privacy and community and everything in between.

It was nice to at least experience the other way though, for a while, and to get a sense of what the price is with each.

Still not sure which I'd choose, if I had to choose one way to go forever--walls or the village fishbowl.

I miss both with equal ferocity whenever I'm in the other.

Carrie said...

sometimes i miss my big group house in DC, because it seemed the best of both worlds... you could hole away in your own room, while your roommates burned granola in the kitchen and the random houseguest or two bathed in the bathroom sink. glorious! :-)