3/5/08

Alabama

A couple of close friends are heading back to Alabama next week for a visit. It got me thinking of all the good things about Alabama, all the things I miss. And so, for today's installment...

The things I miss about 'Bammy:

1. The fried food
2. The way you can walk down the street, or go to dinner, or go to Target, and invariably run into at least five people you know
3. Bitching with friends about how drippingly religious everything is
4. The ho-cakes (they're like greasy pancakes made with cornmeal and then fried)
5. The looks on people's faces in other parts of the country when I tell them I live in Alabama
6. The world's most passionate women's rights activists
7. The way it rains for 30 minutes every afternoon in August, cooling things off and making the pavement steam
8. Sitting on porches with beer and friends and dogs
9. The immediate friendships that come from a small circle of like-minded people
10. Breaking into JK's backyard before we were dating, and having impromptu midnight pool parties

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heading back to 'Bama myself in a week and a half. I'll say hi to everything there for ya.

Things I miss:
-- Popsicles on the porch in the dead heat of early September, when it JUST IS NOT FUNNY ANYMORE
-- Walking to your house, Crystal's house, etc. etc.
-- Eastbrook (!)
-- Half and half at El Rey
-- Cinnamon steamers at Cafe Louisa
-- When all the azaleas bloom in Cloverdale Park
-- The crunch of the red gravel under running shoes in Cloverdale Park early in the morning, summertime
-- Watching people across the street at the Memorial, from the 4th floor elevator lobby
-- Seeing you all the damn time :)
-- Every single party I went to!

Love and miss you,
me